Tidbits on software development, technology, and other geeky stuff

WebResource.axd Throwing ArgumentOutOfRangeException


I have an ASP.NET web application that uses Web Resources via the WebResource.axd handler to serve up some CSS for my site.  The reason I use this method is because I can place the CSS in a .NET assembly and reuse it across several web applications which comes in handy when several sites need the same styling.


Everything was working fine until about a month ago.  Then, I started noticing that when I deployed my website to production the styles were all messed up.  But strangely, it would fix itself after a couple of minutes.  It worked like a charm every time locally but not in production.  Using Firebug I noticed that the calls to the WebResource.axd files were causing a 302 Redirect to GenericErrorPage.htm which obviously means something is going very wrong.  I checked the Application event log in Windows but didn’t see anything.

After some fiddling around and pulling my hair our for a few hours, I changed the web.config so that debug=”true” and noticed some w3wp.exe errors show up in the event log.

Process information:
Process ID: 4932
Process name: w3wp.exe

Exception information:
Exception type: ArgumentOutOfRangeException
Exception message: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: utcDate
at System.Web.HttpCachePolicy.UtcSetLastModified(DateTime utcDate)
at System.Web.Handlers.AssemblyResourceLoader.System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)</pre>

utcDate, UtcSetLastModified – huh?


Noticing the event log entry seemed related to dates in some way (utcDate, UtcSetLastModified, etc.) I took a look at the system clock on my build server (where the assemblies are built) and compared to my production machine.  Sure enough, my build server’s clock was fast by about 5 minutes.  After reading around I found that WebResource.axd uses caching and relies upon a querystring parameter (“t”) to determine if it needs to re-cache or serve from existing cache.  If the request time parameter is in the future (dictated by your assembly build time), it gets confused and throws an exception.

Bottom line: Syncing the clocks on my build server and production server fixed the issue.

Discuss on Twitter