There have been many many times when I need to convert something to PDF format from a back-end application. It seems like it’s hard to find a tool to do the job the way I want it done. I’ve resorted to third-party tools on occasion but hate overpaying for tools that bother me with their annoying licensing tricks and do more than what I need for the price I pay. I decided I needed a server that would accept many types of sources (documents, images, Urls, etc.) and convert them to PDF without a fuss. Fortunately there are some great open source tools that I was able to leverage to accomplish this. I decided assimilate these tools and write an production grade, open source PDF conversion server.
pedamorf is a server that converts documents, images, urls, html and text to PDF. It relies heavily upon the excellent open-source projects wkhtml2pdf, Libre Office and iTextSharp. A .NET client library is provided for easy usage.
- Converts the following sources:
- documents: doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx, odt
- images: png, gif, jpg/jpeg, bmp
- html: Can convert any Url or Html source. For instance, you can ask pedamorf to convert a Url like http://www.github.com or pass in html text for conversion.
- text: txt, rtf
- Can convert multiple files / urls at one time and combine them into a single PDF.
- Supports various options (depending upon the source type) that enable you to specify PDF orientation, image size, custom css stylesheet (html source) and more.
- Can convert files within a directory to a single PDF.
- Can convert a zip file containing documents and images into a single PDF.
More Information and Download
For more information and downloads, visit the project page at: https://github.com/bradymholt/pedamorf